Rss Feed
  1. How to Clean Silver

    Tuesday, January 8, 2013




    I had been seeing a lot of silver looking dishes at the thrift store, but I wasn't sure how to check yo see if they were real silver or not. So I just searched it online and found out that any real silver piece will have an engraving on the bottom saying if it's solid silver or silver plated. So the next time I went to the thrift store I checked all the pieces that looked like silver and found some cute dishes.

    The ones above were probably once part of a tea set, probably used for cream and sugar. These ones are silver plated copper. The two of them only cost me $3! You can see that they were super tarnished when I got them, the one in the back shows you what they look like when they are all polished and clean. 


    Cleaning silver is super easy and all you need is toothpaste and a toothbrush! Things you definitely already have in your house. Use an old toothbrush, one that isn't going to be used for brushing teeth anymore. Just be sure to use paste toothpaste, not gel toothpaste. 

    Just squirt a couple centimeters of toothpaste on the toothbrush and start scrubbing away at the tarnish! Add more toothpaste as needed. I rinsed as I finished one section of scrubbing so I could see how well it was being cleaned. You may have to scrub the entire thing a couple times depending on how many nooks and crannies there are in the dish. And don't forget to clean the inside as well!


    That's it! Good as new. 

    Below is a different silver dish that I found and cleaned and am now using as a sugar bowl.





    I just love silver, so simple to keep clean and so beautiful!

  2. 1 comments:

    1. April said...

      I'm amazed! I didn't know it was so simple to clean silver!

    Post a Comment