Rss Feed
  1. Potato Latkes

    Tuesday, January 29, 2013



    This was the first time I'd made latkes, although I've always wanted to make them since they seemed pretty easy. And sure enough, very easy. Very few ingredients. I used a recipe from my December 2012 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. I bought a subscription for myself for Christmas last year. 

    Latkes

    - one large baking potato [about ten oz.], peeled and quartered
    - half an onion, peeled and quartered
    - 1/4 cup flour
    - one egg
    - 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    - salt and pepper
    - oil for frying


    Using a food processor or a hand grater, like I did, grate the potato and onion, discarding any large end pieces. Transfer the potato and onion to a sieve and let it drain. 
    Wring out the potato/onion mixture in a kitchen towel to remove any excess moisture and transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the flour, egg, baking powder, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. 
    In a cast iron skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
    Working in batches, drop 2 tablespoon-sized scoops of batter into the pan a couple inches apart. 
    Using a spatula, flatten the batter into disks. 
    Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
    Drain on paper towels.




    I also sauteed some asparagus spears in lemon-pepper seasoning salt to serve alongside the latkes.


    Enjoy.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment